Heart of Florida Health Center began in 2007 with financial support from Munroe Regional Medical Center, Ocala Regional Medical Center, the County Commission and others. Growing out of what was previously Community Health Services of Marion County, the original goal of Heart of Florida was to provide patients with a better alternative to spending many hours waiting to be seen in the ER for non-emergency situations.
The original building, located at 1025 SW 1st Avenue, dates back to 1960, as it once housed The Marion County Health Department. In 2008, the building was totally renovated and modernized by the county to provide a pleasant patient atmosphere, primarily funded by the generous donations and in-kind contributions of many local contractors and private individuals. Today, HFHC still collaborates with the two hospitals and the Florida Department of Health Marion County.
In 2008, Heart of Florida was able to accommodate nearly 15,000 patient visits. The average cost to treat each patient was only $69, further proving how efficient a community health center can be for Marion County, its residents and neighbors. Today, we have grown to over 18,000 patient visits and continue to be able to treat each patient at 66.3% less than the National clinic average.